The land for the GolfCourse was acquired in 1928 for a term of thirty years with a right to the Crown (The Government) to re-enter upon giving six months notice. The right of re-entry was intact exercised in 1959 by the Eastern Nigerian Government which wanted to convert the “waste Land” used for Golf Course into a residential Layout. (The Take over of the Golf Course by the Rivers State Government in 1975 was a way, a repeat performance)

In 1959, however, the political weight of the Mayor of Port Harcourt Golf Club was brought in to lobby the Eastern Nigeria Ministry of Lands and Town Planning. The Government left off the bulk of the Land and took only fringes of the course for a few plots along Round-the Bend and the stretch along Long Straight.

In addition a clear lease of ninety-nine years for the Golf Course was granted the Port Harcourt Club. In appreciation, golfers in 1971 named the “Allagoa Hole” after the man who helped save the course, (Honourable Justice Ambrose Allagoa). The present Golf Section Club house was rebuilt in 1971.

On the evening of 11th October 1959, Honourable Justice Ambrose Allagoa then Mayor of Port Harcourt took a drive off the first hole (hole13 Doc Elberts) to mark the opening of the first hole of the Golf Section of the Port Harcourt Club. The Golf ball used in that tee off, a Dunlop 65/7 is preserved as a historical item. The Golf Course was however in existence before then (1959) and the present Main Club Building served as the “nineteenth hole” for golfers. The number one tee box was hole 7 before 1959.

The Port Harcourt Golf Course was designed by Mr Thomas Collins of the then C.M.S Book-shops. A lot of the construction work and costs were generous contributions of firms like the U.A.C of Nigeria, the Barclays Bank and later the Nigerian Tobacco Company Limited. Assistance and contributions from firms, Institutions and individuals have continued over the years to compliment the overall responsibility of the Port Harcourt Golf Club which bears the burden of maintaining and servicing the Golf Course. In 1988 Eastern Bulk cement company of Nigeria and JGC of japan, renovated present club house with top-less bar